Category: Eminent DomainLink to article here.
Judge grants foreign company eminent domain powers for pipeline constructionPosted on September 24, 2012 4:24 PM
By David Yates
A Beaumont judge on Monday granted a foreign company’s petition to condemn land for the construction of a crude oil pipeline.
Last June, TransCanada Keystone Pipeline filed the petition for condemnation against Texas Rice Land Partners, James and David Holland and Mike and Walter Latta.
TransCanada filed the petition seeking to build a pipeline to carry crude from Alberta to the Gulf Coast.
On Sept. 24 Judge Tom Rugg, Jefferson County Court at Law No. 1, ruled that the company has the right to sieze land in Jefferson County for the pipeline.
TransCanada has posted bonds to compensate landowners if a higher court finds that the company ultimately did not have the right to damage the sought after property, court records show.
During a Sept. 12 hearing, Terry Wood, the attorney for the rice farmers, attempted to link the TransCanda case to a ruling made by the Texas Supreme Court last August denying Denbury Green common carrier status in a pipeline project of its own.
However, the Denbury pipeline would have carried CO2, not crude oil.
TransCanada is represented by Thomas Zabel, attorney for the Houston law firm Zabel Freeman.
Case No. 118867
- TxDOT to hijack I-35: Plans to toll new & existing lanes
- VA toll opponents dealt blow by State Supreme Court
- Moody's predicts default on Cintra's SH 130 by end of 2014
- Many toll violations billed in error
- TV Reporter goes on rant, asks if Texans will vote out politicians who raid road funds
- Pauken speaks out against public money in private tollway
- Houghton lies about public money for SH 130 private tollway
- Toll glitch traps motorists at DFW airport
Like Us on Facebook!
Latest Press Releases
- Public drain for private gain: Prop 6 rural water raid to benefit developers
- Dirty trick: TxDOT bypasses legislature to enact law using rule change
- Texans ask Perry to veto bill to hand 23 Texas roads to foreign entities
- Targeted tax: Residents ask Perry to veto fee hike on Bexar County
- Texas for Sale: Texas roads may be handed to private, foreign toll operators
- Texans ask for leadership to enact NEW vision for road policy
- Grassroots applaud Perry's call to end diversions, reject Rainy Day raid
- Texans call for boycott of Cintra's SH 130 tollway