Category: NewsLink to article here.
Officials consider tolling 'Bergstrom Expressway'
By: Sebastian Robertson
September 18, 2012
Mobility planners have their eyes on a seven-mile stretch of Highway 183, between Highway 290 and Highway 71. It’s a corridor that funnels traffic to and from the airport and dubbed the “Bergstrom Expressway.” Several agencies took public input on the development project Tuesday night.
"Getting it up to modern standards as a nonstop expressway is really critical to the economic development of the community and making life better for everyone as well," Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority Steve Pustelnyk said.
"We hope that with tolling, as a potential funding source that we will be able to see this one through to the end and hopefully by 2020 we will have a road open out there."
Some neighbors aren't too happy with the maps and plans.
"It looks like it is going to make it almost impossible to get out of the neighborhood without having to pay a toll," Austin Resident Brian Parrett said. "It kind of tells everybody that is coming to visit Austin, 'hey welcome to Austin thanks, pay us some money so you can get into our lovely town.'"
Still, it may be several years until we see any changes. A timeline spanning years into the future may reduce traffic someday, but for now drivers must continue to deal with a reality of brake lights.
A decision won’t be made on that portion of Highway 183 for the next two years. For more information on the project head to Bergstromexpressway.com.
- TxDOT to hijack I-35: Plans to toll new & existing lanes
- VA toll opponents dealt blow by State Supreme Court
- Moody's predicts default on Cintra's SH 130 by end of 2014
- Many toll violations billed in error
- TV Reporter goes on rant, asks if Texans will vote out politicians who raid road funds
- Pauken speaks out against public money in private tollway
- Houghton lies about public money for SH 130 private tollway
- Toll glitch traps motorists at DFW airport
Like Us on Facebook!
Latest Press Releases
- Public drain for private gain: Prop 6 rural water raid to benefit developers
- Dirty trick: TxDOT bypasses legislature to enact law using rule change
- Texans ask Perry to veto bill to hand 23 Texas roads to foreign entities
- Targeted tax: Residents ask Perry to veto fee hike on Bexar County
- Texas for Sale: Texas roads may be handed to private, foreign toll operators
- Texans ask for leadership to enact NEW vision for road policy
- Grassroots applaud Perry's call to end diversions, reject Rainy Day raid
- Texans call for boycott of Cintra's SH 130 tollway